FOL Logo

Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Junior B Writing and Grammar

Yesterday, we began by reviewing the 6 sentence patterns and practicing on 2 sentences. We will now do this as a routine every week for review.

I introduced Etymology, which is the study of words. Will analyzed the words 'reading', 'reader' and 'unreadable,' looking for root word, suffix and prefix. The study of etymology will increase their ability to guess at the meaning of words they come across, but do not know.

For writing, they are finishing up their paragraphs due on Thursday. I am teaching them the 4 step writing process (prewriting, drafting, revising and presenting), and we will go through this process many times in class before the semester is over. Perhaps the most neglected, and important step is revising. I hope to teach them that there is strength in accepting criticism and suggestions, and compare it to the repentance process.

No comments:

Post a Comment